Saturday, December 4, 2010

I want my life back

.

Dad always talk about his friends' having issues with their children. Unfortunately dad, I have untold-issues with you too.

I remember telling you that day after I screwed up my finals, that I'd wanted to major in any computer-related field, because that is what keeps me going on. But you think there's not so many job opportunities with that kind of degree yet you foresee something bigger, something that you think I'm capable of doing: just because I am a son of a doctorate-couple doesn't make me a genius.

You might think you know me well, but I beg to differ. I am a computer freak, I've been stripping components, dismantling and assembling hardware, troubleshooting every computers in the house, reading a lot of technical stuffs about PCs' that I think even IT undergraduates don't even bother; yet you think that is only something I enjoy doing in my spare time? with the skills that I have, I could generate income for god-sake.

At the end of the day, I think majority of parents want their children to become successful, but how do you define success? earning big bucks... typical.

Nuclear scientist? Physicist? Geophysicist? forget about it. At this rate, I'm not looking forward to drive a ferrari anymore. I just want to have a simple life. Even if I work as a computer technician or managing an toy store later in life, I'd ensure that I am the best at it. That is how I define a successful person,

"to be the best at what he does best"

.

1 comment:

  1. hey, u don't hv 2 be a genius to get a bachelor's degree. Coz anyone can obtain it regardless the pointer and field. Learning something specific will get u nowhere far except the teeny weeny area compared to learning something broader e.g Physics (core) and physics education (specific).

    Being a technician, sure... but u can only feed urself not ur future family. A store manager? if u're good at business, then it's ok. but if not n u hv 2 start from low which is sales person, then u could apply using SPM results.

    Like it or not, the point is u don't always or perhaps never get wht u wanted. Only God knows what's going on. So, deal with it. Study hard n smart, be open to accept any ideas or critics, don't be uptight, analyze why u didn't excel before and self-motivate... only that way u can get good results in whatever u're studying.

    Btw, u should talk to ur dad or maybe someone u're comfortable with about the difficulties u're facing. Coz if u don't tell, u're wasting money for ur education esp if u hv to extend semesters or worst expelled. U should know, that there are other alternative such as study at a theory-less-but-expensive technical univ. All the best 2u n 4ur future!

    ReplyDelete